Monday 19 May 2014

Louis Moinet - Meteoris

I find that my aesthetic tastes tend to appreciate form that follows function, and I rarely gravitate towards add-ons that are not self-explanatory. I understand the desire to express the historical link between horology and astronomy, but it seems to me that having pieces of meteorite in a watch is pointless unless the wearer is prepared to inform everyone: "Hey, my watch has pieces of meteorite in it. You'll need to take my word for it, just as I'm taking someone else's." Even putting diamonds on a watch takes it too close to ornamentation and further away from a functionally engineered mechanism for my personal taste. I like my jewels to be usefully employed in the bearings.
As such, I am half fascinated by Louis Moinet's Meteoris unique piece. The half that fascinates me is the planetarium/orrery of the full solar system (the work of Rémy Chauvin), with its visible gears representing the invisible gravity responsible for the movement of the celestial bodies. Just as a watch or clock represents the passage of the more recently man-made units of time, an orrery represents the movements of our original indices: the sun, moon, planets and stars.
The other half of this set consists of four tourbillon watches.
Which part do you prefer?
















Louis Moinet website

Louis Moinet Facebook page

A Blog to Watch's review



No comments:

Post a Comment